Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 10, 2011

What are scriptures?

What are scriptures? Well the word Scripture is described as the following which can be found in the Bible Dictionary, and it says:

"The word scripture means a writing, and is used to denote a writing recognized by the Church as sacred and inspired. It is so applied to the books of the O.T. by the writers of the N.T. (Matt. 22:29; John 5:39; 2 Tim. 3:15). For an account of the process by which the books of the O.T. and N.T. came to be recognized as scripture, see Canon. Latter-day revelation identifies scripture as that which is spoken under the influence of the Holy Ghost (D&C 68:1–4)."(Bible Dictionary) After that being said, what can scriptures do for us in our life today? Well let me tell you what they have done for me and what they can do for you. The scriptures, are sacred, and holy. They have helped me find comfort in this life, through all my trials and everything that I have  gone to. I can always open up my scriptures and find a verse that will help me out that particular day.

What do we as Latter-Day Saints consider scripture? As the 8th Article of Faith states: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God." 

What's your favorite scripture? I have allot of favorite scriptures. But I will share two of my  favorites from both the Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible. The first one comes from the Book of Mormon found in the 2 Nephi 31:20, and it says..... "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

Favorite Scripture #2:  Alma 37:36-37: "Book of Mormon: Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.
 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

Favorite Bible Scripture #1:  Romans 12:2: "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Favorite Bible Scripture #2: John 15:12-15 "This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

I would like to bear my testimony that I know that the Bible is the word of God. I also know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I know that Christ is my Savior, and that He was sent here to die for us, and to take upon Himself the sins of this world so that we may be able to enter into the kingdom of Heaven. I know that Christ's church has been restored to the earth today through the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that prayer is real. I can testify that scriptures are here to help us, and that they are here for us today to help us understand life's challenges better. I would invite you to pull your scriptures out more often, and read the word of God, and see what He wants you to learn. I know that as you do so great blessing will be upon you and your family. I love this gospel so much.

If you would like to learn more about scriptures or about the Book of Mormon, or Bible please visit http://www.mormon.org/ to learn more, or just come straight to me :) I would love to answer any questions that you may have about the Latter-Day Saints and what we believe.

HAVE AN AWESOME DAY AND WEEK. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment